• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

tips on healthy eating & cookbook recommendations?

owls

Greenlighter
ok so here's the deal.. i'm completely incompetent in the kitchen :(

i really want to take up cooking as a new hobby. i want to learn how to be able to prepare healthy meals for myself, family, and friends :)

no more processed garbage.. i want to incorporate a LOT more fruits/veggies/nuts/seeds, produce from grass-fed animals, etc.. and i just want to learn a more about health and good eating in general. i already know a few things, but my lack of ability to cook is what's really holding me back here

any other tips or advice beyond cookbook recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

thanks everybody, and i want you to all have a beautiful & positive day <3

Nourishing Traditions--Sally Fallon

it is INVALUABLE and highly educational. i don't eat grains so i ignore that section but it is all about nourishing, traditional, and whole foods. covers the basics like fermentation too.

Or just google recipes. :) No need to even buy a cookbook when the net has just about every recipe you could imagine, just a click away. I agree nourishing traditions has some good stuff in it too.

Or just google recipes. :) No need to even buy a cookbook when the net has just about every recipe you could imagine, just a click away. I agree nourishing traditions has some good stuff in it too.

Yeah you don't need a cookbook, just look up recipes online.

If you want recipies from an actual cookbook go to a bookstore and look at cookbooks there and copy down the recipes from there to try at home. If you want a cookbook at home don't buy one borrow one from a local public library.

You can always add things to the recipes you find or edit/change them to suit your needs.

I love to cook and I'm good at it so that's what I do.

As you start to cook more you'll get better and better at it and you'll learn how to improvise with cooking.

Good luck! :)

The thing I've been hearing a lot about is raw food diets and "sprouted seed/grain" diets.

good points guys/gals... it does seem rather needless to actually purchase a cookbook now that i think of it

thanks for the tips!

Just buy "Food Matters" or "The Food Matters Cookbook" by Mark Bittman. I recently moved off-campus in college, and also found myself stuck with an inability to cook or a lack of recipes.

Not only does Mark Bittman make eating healthy fun and practical, he also advocates for eating unhealthy things in moderation! By simply incorporating more and more fresh produce and whole grains into your diet, you'll begin to truly appreciate the joy in eating well!

As an athlete with a super fast metabolism, I used to love eating junk food, and now I see junky pizza and burgers for what they are. Still I love eating them once in a while, and never feel guilty for what I'm putting into my body.

Kudos to you for trying to eat better! The best advice I can give is when you shop, don't buy anything from the middle of the grocery store, only around the outer ring of the store. Fresh veggies and fruit, fish and chicken. <3